St. James Episcopal Church has been an integral part of the community since it was founded in 1853, even giving its name to the hamlet of St. James on the north shore of Long Island. Much of its history is represented in the roll of names – Smiths, Blydenburghs, Millers – that populate the cemetery behind the original Richard Upjohn church, and to a similar extent by the diverse group of structures that are part of the church campus. Today approximately 100 families worship here and are guided by these goals:
• Growing in faith with scripture and prayer
• Building relationships in Christ
• Serving one another and the world
Necessary repairs and maintenance to the church facilities prompted the Vestry to request the buildings and grounds committee to assess the condition of the physical plant and to set priorities for capital improvements. The committee’s work is the basis for Sustaining St. James, a three-phase capital improvements project that will preserve the Church, Education Wing and Office, Parish House, Mills Hall, and Rectory now and for future generations.
The purpose of Sustaining St. James is to preserve and enhance church buildings in a systematic approach for this and succeeding generations. The three-phase project will be funded through donations, the sale of a vacant parcel of land across the street, and possible grants. To date, we have raised more than $200,000 in the advance phase and we hope to double that amount in the coming months. Please consider joining this major and transformative project by becoming a St. James Sustainer.